Liva Andrejeva, MD, Assistant Professor
Reni Butler, MD, Assistant Professor
Melissa Durand, MD, Assistant Professor
Jaime Geisel, MD, Assistant Professor
Regina Hooley, MD, Assistant Professor
Laura Horvath, MD, Assistant Professor
Madhavi Raghu, MD, Assistant Professor
Irena Tocino, MD, Professor
|Smilow Cancer Hospital - 35 Park Street
New Haven, CT 06520-8042
Admin Assistant, M. Lisa Varipapa
The Yale Breast Imaging section is devoted to providing state-of-the-art quality breast imaging and diagnosis. This includes screening and diagnostic mammography, ultrasound, MRI and interventional procedures including pre-operative needle localization, stereotactic US, and MR core biopsy. As a comprehensive breast center, the staff and radiologists are all highly specialized to provide the best care possible.
The radiologists are nationally recognized leaders in breast imaging. Active research includes biopsy outcomes and management, breast MRI, and digital tomosynthesis imaging.
Section's statistics (per year)
18,000 Total studies
5500 Diagnostic exams
2000 Breast Ultrasounds
The Breast Imaging section is an integral part of the Yale-New Haven Breast Center of Yale-New Haven Hospital. In addition to teaching Yale Medical students and Diagnostic Radiology residents, the section hosts fellowships through either Breast Imaging or a combined program with Body Imaging.
- Breast MRI
- Breast interventional procedures
- Digital tomosynthesis imaging
- Improvements in breast biopsy
- Breast cancer screening
- Breast ultrasound and elastography
Breast Fellows: 2012-13
Noa Beck, MD
Salomon Blutreich, MD
Maddalena Duarte, MD
Rebecca Stackhouse, MD
AWARDS & HONORS
Books & Chapters:
- Philpotts LE. Therapeuatic Percutaneous Excisions of Papillary Lesions, Breast Cancer Online, (In Press).
- Philpotts LE. Can computer-aided detection be detrimental to mammographic interpretation? Radiology 2009;253:17-22
- Philpotts LE. Commentary on: Efficiency of core biopsy for BI-RADS-5 breast lesions [Breast J14:471-475, 2008]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 20:150-152, 2009.
- Philpotts LE. Commentary on: Underestimation of atypical ductal hyperplasia at sonographicallyguided core biopsy of the breast [AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:1347-1351, 2008]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 20:389-391, 2009.
- Philpotts LE. MR intervention: indications, technique, correlation and histologic. MagneticResonance Imaging Clinics of North America. 2010;18(2):323-32.
- Philpotts LE. Comprehensive Breast Imaging 2010. Seminars in Roentgenology, January 2011;46(1):7-17.
- Killelea BK, Grube BJ, Rishi M, Thorsteinsson D, Philpotts L, Tran EJ, and Lannin DR. Is the use of Preoperative Breast MRI Predictive of Mastectomy? 6 Year Experience at a Single Academic Institution.
- Regina J. Hooley, MD, Kathryn L. Greenberg, DO, Rebecca M. Stackhouse, MD, Jaime L. Geisel, MD, Reni S. Butler, MD and Liane E. Philpotts, MD. Screening US in Patients with Mammographically Dense Breasts: Initial Experience with Connecticut Public Act 09-41, 2012