|Smilow Cancer Hospital - 35 Park Street
New Haven, CT 06520-8042
Admin Assistant, M. Lisa Varipapa
The Yale Breast Imaging section is devoted to providing state-of-the-art quality breast imaging and diagnosis. This includes screening and diagnostic mammography, ultrasound, MRI and interventional procedures including pre-operative needle localization, stereotactic US, and MR core biopsy. As a comprehensive breast center, the staff and radiologists are all highly specialized to provide the best care possible.
The radiologists are nationally recognized leaders in breast imaging. Active research includes biopsy outcomes and management, breast MRI, and digital tomosynthesis imaging.
Section's statistics (per year)
18,000 Total studies
5500 Diagnostic exams
2000 Breast Ultrasounds
The Breast Imaging section is an integral part of the Yale-New Haven Breast Center of Yale-New Haven Hospital. In addition to teaching Yale Medical students and Diagnostic Radiology residents, the section hosts fellowships through either Breast Imaging or a combined program with Body Imaging.
- Breast MRI
- Breast interventional procedures
- Digital tomosynthesis imaging
- Improvements in breast biopsy
- Breast cancer screening
- Breast ultrasound and elastography
AWARDS & HONORS
Books & Chapters:
- Regina Hooley, Leslie Scoutt & Liane Philpotts."Breast Ultrasound: State of the Art" is scheduled to be published in the September issue in Radiology.
- Dr. Regina Hooley has written the following chapters in Diagnostic Imaging: Breast, 2nd Edition.
-Breast MRI: Overview
-Ultrasound-guided Core Needle Biopsy
Publication date is scheduled for Nov 2013.
- Philpotts LE. Can computer-aided detection be detrimental to mammographic interpretation? Radiology 2009;253:17-22
- Philpotts LE. Commentary on: Efficiency of core biopsy for BI-RADS-5 breast lesions [Breast J14:471-475, 2008]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 20:150-152, 2009.
- Philpotts LE. Commentary on: Underestimation of atypical ductal hyperplasia at sonographicallyguided core biopsy of the breast [AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:1347-1351, 2008]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 20:389-391, 2009.
- Philpotts LE. MR intervention: indications, technique, correlation and histologic. MagneticResonance Imaging Clinics of North America. 2010;18(2):323-32.
- Philpotts LE. Comprehensive Breast Imaging 2010. Seminars in Roentgenology, January 2011;46(1):7-17.
- Killelea BK, Grube BJ, Rishi M, Thorsteinsson D, Philpotts L, Tran EJ, and Lannin DR. Is the use of Preoperative Breast MRI Predictive of Mastectomy? 6 Year Experience at a Single Academic Institution.
- Regina J. Hooley, MD, Kathryn L. Greenberg, DO, Rebecca M. Stackhouse, MD, Jaime L. Geisel, MD, Reni S. Butler, MD and Liane E. Philpotts, MD. Screening US in Patients with Mammographically Dense Breasts: Initial Experience with Connecticut Public Act 09-41, 2012
- Hooley, R, Greenberg K, Stackhouse R, Geisel, J, Butler, R, Philpotts, L, Response to Letter to the Editor on Screening US in Patients with Mammographically Dense Breasts: Initial Experience with Connecticut Public Act 09-41.Radiology 2013; 266(3): 998
- Brian M. Haas, Vivek Kalra, Jaime Geisel, Madhavi Raghu, Melissa Durand, and Liane E. Philpotts Comparison of Tomosynthesis Plus Digital Mammography and Digital Mammography Alone for Breast Cancer Screening Radiology 130307; Published online July 30, 2013
- Rafferty, Elizabeth A. Park, Jeong Mi. Philpotts, Liane E. Poplack, Steven P. Sumkin, Jules H. Halpern, Elkan F. Niklason, Loren T. Assessing radiologist performance using combined digital mammography and breast tomosynthesis compared with digital mammography alone: results of a multicenter, multireader trial. Radiology. 266(1):104-13, 2013 Jan.
- Vashi, R, Hooley, R, Butler, R, Geisel, J, Philpotts, L, Breast Imaging in the Pregnant and Lactating Patient, Part 2 – Imaging Modalities and Pregnancy Associated Breast Cancer. AJR 2013; 200(2), 321
- Vashi, Reena. Hooley, Regina. Butler, Reni. Geisel, Jaime. Philpotts, Liane. Breast imaging of the pregnant and lactating patient: physiologic changes and common benign entities. [Review] AJR. American Journal of Roentgenology. 200(2):329-36, 2013 Feb.
- Vashi, Reena. Hooley, Regina. Butler, Reni. Geisel, Jaime. Philpotts, Liane. Breast imaging of the pregnant and lactating patient: imaging modalities and pregnancy-associated breast cancer. [Review] AJR. American Journal of Roentgenology. 200(2):321-8, 2013 Feb