The Breast Imaging Section at Yale offers a comprehensive fellowship according to the guidelines and curriculum recommended by the Society of Breast Imaging. The faculty members are leaders in the fields of digital breast tomosynthesis and screening breast ultrasound. Our fellows receive extensive clinical exposure to all aspects of breast imaging including cutting edge technology such as digital breast tomosynthesis and 3T breast MRI. The fellows are also well trained in the fundamentals of breast imaging including screening and diagnostic mammography, ultrasonography and interventional breast procedures. Currently, two twelve-month fellowship positions are offered annually. All twelve-month breast imaging fellows are offered one month of elective time. For those trainees interested in research, numerous projects are available.
The Breast Imaging section performs approximately 48,000 studies, including interventional procedures, each year. More than 15,000 screening mammograms with tomosynthesis are performed at Yale New Haven Hospital and three satellite offices. In addition, more than 5,000 diagnostic mammograms, as well as ductograms, breast ultrasound and breast MRI exams are performed annually. Nearly 1,000 interventional procedures are performed each year and include mammographic, sonographic, and MRI guided needle localizations and stereotactic, sonographic, and MRI- guided core biopsies.
Weekly didactic lectures are provided by the breast imaging faculty. In addition, monthly interdisciplinary conferences take place with lectures provided by faculty in breast imaging, breast surgery, oncology and pathology. Bi-weekly interesting case conferences as well as journal clubs provide additional opportunities for education. Each week, one trainee (fellow or mini-fellow) prepares cases for tumor board and presents these while supervised by an attending radiologist.
Applying For Fellowship:
We are currently accepting fellowship applications for 2019-20.
The program will NOT be participating in the NMRP Match for Breast Imaging.
Please submit your application and all supporting documentation before September 29, 2017.
To apply for a fellowship position, candidates should send the following documents in PDF format only to firstname.lastname@example.org with the candidates name in the subject line.
*** Please note that consideration will only be given to those candidates who submit all of the following documents in the appropriate format.***
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement - Please limit the personal statement to one page: double spaced and 12 point font Times New Roman.
- Medical School Transcripts or Dean’s Letter
- 3 letters of recommendation (signed and on official letterhead): One letter must be from the residency program director
- USMLE Steps I, II and III score
- ECFMG Certificate, if applicable
- Candidates should be board eligible or certified by the American Board of Radiology,
- Hold or be eligible for a permanent medical license in Connecticut
- Must have evidence of valid work authorization.
- Being authorized to work in the United States is a precondition of employment in this Breast Imaging Fellowship Program.
- The fellowship program and the department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging are unable to sponsor applicants requiring a work visa.
Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted via e-mail.
M. Lisa Varipapa, MPH
Breast Imaging Fellowship Coordinator
Madhavi Raghu, MD
Yale School of Medicine
Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging
Breast Imaging Fellowship Program
P.O. Box 208042
333 Cedar Street
New Haven, CT 06520-8042