If you are interested in the Radiology Global Outreach Elective in Tanzania, start submitting the paperwork for the rotation to Dr. Frank Minja at least two months before your proposed elective begins.Use this checklist to keep track of all documents and required actions. Click Here for Application Checklist!
All residents going abroad for the Global Radiology Elective need to submit/obtain the following documents (scan and upload all documents to your folder in the Tanzania Elective DropBox, keep originals):
Two months before travel:
- Form A; filled and signed by Program Director Dr. Jamal Bokhari and the GME office. Click here for FORM A!
- Obtain signed letter from Muhimbili Orthopedic Institute (MOI): Provided by Dr. Minja
- Check passport for expiration date: Needs to be valid at least six months past travel dates
- Request room in “Abbott House” at MOI
- Schedule appointment with Passport Health Travel Clinic / 203-288-3115
- Obtain yellow fever vaccination (approximately $180)
- Discuss any other vaccinations required for Tanzania (look up current guidelines online beforehand)
- If no availability at New Haven clinic, schedule appointment at Hamden Passport Health clinic
- Schedule appointment with Yale Occupational Health Phone: 203-432-7978
- Update typhoid, hepatitis A and all other standard vaccinations
- Prescription for Malaria prophylaxis (Malarone or equivalent), start taking two days before arrival until five days after return.
- Prescription for standby HIV prophylaxis (in case of needle stick injury)
- If taking any other medications on regular basis please organize sufficient supply for duration of travel, it may not be possible to obtain all medications abroad
One month before travel:
- Book air ticket with Emirates
- Discuss dates with Dr. Minja
- Coordinate directly with Amy O’Malley regarding reimbursement/payment
- Visa Application: Tanzanian Embassy, Coordinate with Dr. Minja
- Check website for updates regarding application process
- Fill out Visa application form (found on Embassy website)
- Two Passport sized photos (2 inch x 2 inch)
- Passport valid at least 6 months post travel dates
- Tanzania cultural orientation :Swahili lessons (More Details to follow)
- Obtain unlocked smartphone; This will allow you to put a SIM card into your phone in Tanzania, Essential for communication and orientation in Dar es Salaam
- Download “what’s app “
Two weeks before travel:
- Signed waiver for Yale: Click Here for Waiver Form!
- Provide emergency contact information: Click Here For Emergency Contact Form!
- Medical evacuation/international insurance; Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield provides health insurance abroad but does not cover transport and repatriation
- Sign up with medical evacuation provider of choice; Should not cost more than $50.00
- Register at the U.S. State Department
- Register at Yale travel registry
- Obtain 1000 USD in new 100 Dollar bills; Ask for the most recent bills available. Smaller denominations and older bills will not be accepted at exchange bureaus in Tanzania
- Schedule meeting with Dr. Minja 1-2 weeks before travel for final orientation to Tanzania and review of complete checklist. Click Here for Application Checklist!Click Here for Tanzania Info!
Immediately before travel:
- Review checklist, in particular travel packing list
- Start taking Malarone two days before arrival in Tanzania
Most importantly, do not forget
After returning to the US:
- Continue taking Malarone for another five days
- Submit subjective report about your experience in Tanzania to Dr. Frank Minja
- Assemble slide-show to present your experience and projects conducted to residents and faculty
- Submit experience report or scientific research findings to appropriate journals